Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How did Jonas Salk use HeLa?

When Jonas Salk developed a vaccine, he needed to test it on a huge scale to ensure its safety. These tests involved the inoculation of 2 million children. Afterwards blood samples from the children were mixed with cultured cells and the poliovirus. Prior to HeLa, Salk used monkey cells in his tests. However, the cells died in the process, making the tests extremely expensive. These tests, directed by the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis, required a more economical cell line. Gey donated Henrietta's cells, which could grow very rapidly at a low cost. It was discovered, too, that HeLa cells were easily affected by the poliovirus, making them all the more suitable for testing (Skloot 93-95). Because of HeLa cells, large samples of the polio vaccine could be tested and countless lives were saved.

1 comment:

  1. I'm Karem really happy that I have been cured of (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2) with the herbal medicine of DR. AKHIGBE HERBAL CENTER, I have been suffering from this disease for the past four years without solution until i came across this email (drrealakhigbe@gmail.com) on the internet of a herbal doctor who have cure so many people of herpes virus with his herbal medicine, I also choose to give him a chance to help me, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he sent me his herbal medicine through Dhl courier services delivery and direct me on how to use it, I also follows his instruction for use and he ask me to go for a check up after three weeks and which i did, to my greatest surprise my result came out as negative, I am really happy that there is someone like this DR. AKHIGBE HERBAL CENTER who is ready to help people anytime any day. to all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony stop doubting it and contact this DR. AKHIGBE HERBAL CENTER and see if he will not actually help you. I am not a stupid person that I will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done for me. he is really a great man contact him now. with this email: (drrealakhigbe@gmail.com) or you can contact him +2348142454860

    ReplyDelete